You are viewing a simplified version of our website as you either have CSS disabled, or your web browser doesn't appear to support the latest web standards.

Recent Match Report

Saturday 30th August 2014

West Yorkshire Association Football League

Alliance Division Two

Pool Reserves    1  1  Hall Green United Reserves

D.Turner, J Makinson, N Scholey, M Scarth, R Lodge, A McDermott, C Lund (capt), E Schofield,           B Butler, T Cotton, A Tranter.

Sub C Nicholson

Scorer A Tranter

Ref D Hill

Hall Green embarked on their first long journey of the season with a depleted squad. A large injury list and some last minute drop outs meant that manager Martin Scarth had to juggle the team somewhat.

Hall Green consisting of quite a few young lads and understandably started nervously with ball retention being a major issue. The back four and keeper Turner defended with tenacity and Green were pleased to reach half time at Nil NIl.

Half time gave Green time re group and to to make slight adjustments to there 4 1 4 1 system and they started the second half much more brightly. As the second half continued Pool began to press more and only some last gasp defending and goal keeping kept the scores level.

As the game seemed to be heading for a 0 0 stalemate pool were awarded a controversial goal in the 87th minute. A miss hit shot caught keeper turner slightly off balance and as the ball hit the floor the referee gave a goal adjudging it to have crossed the line.

Hall green to their credit rather than feeling sorry for theirselves went straight on the offensive and as a cross was cleared to the edge of the box ash Tranter put his laces through the ball and smashed it in to the top corner 88 minutes and the scores were level.

Ash was now sky high with confidence and went on a incisive run down the right wing he pulled back a cross and Adam Mcdermotts effort was stopped by a last ditch tackle


Wednesday 20th August 2014




T Lees, J Laughton, J Moore, D Riley, M Livesey, D Empsall,
C Firth (capt),
L Speight, L Pryde, B Butler, J Parkin.

Subs: C Prasher, A Laud, J Holman

Scorer: J Moore.

Ref:  N Fishman.

Att: 42

A second defeat for United as they look to secure their first point in the West Yorkshire Association Football League. They started brightly enough with good passing movement from back to midfield but up front they failed to make any inroads against a robust visitors defence. Skipper Firth and Danny Empsall had good movement in the engine room but a lack of vision when it mattered saw United have limited chances. Their visitors, after a shaky start, soon got the measure of United and with their speed up front they tested United on several occasions before the opening goal came on 35 mins. This was after the loss of central defender James Laughton who retired injured early in the game causing an adjustment to United’s defensive line up. United went further behind in the second period and were eventually 0-3 down as players pushed forward leaving one to one situations for their visiting forwards on keeper Tom Lees. A late consolation goal from Player Manager John Moore failed to hide the lack of inventiveness for United up front as they struggle to find their best line up. Danny Empsall and Firth never stopped running with defender Danny Riley taking the eye for United at the back.


16th August 2014



HARTSHEAD       4              -              2              HALL GREEN UNITED.

T.Lees, M Livesey, W Ball, J Laughton, O Hopwood, P Robinson, C Prasher,

J Graham, D Empsall, C Firth (capt), J Holman.

Subs: W Fowler, R Lodge, J Moore.

Scorers D Empsall, J Holman.

Ref A Williams

 United’s first ever West Yorkshire fixture ended in a defeat despite a spirited performance from a young United side. Having rebuilt the side following many departures from last season United started brightly enough with early chances for their leading two, skipper Clifton Firth and Danny Empsall. Their hosts Hartshead also displayed their attacking power squandering their limited chances in front of goal with keeper Tom Lees quick to avert the danger. It was United who struck first when another flowing attack saw good inter passing before debutant Jimmy Holman scored with a deflecion off a Hartshead defender that sent the keeper the wrong way on 13 mins.

Taking confidence from this United looked the part but they were rocked on the 25th minute when the bustling home striker headed home from a long through ball. More agony came for United when another long ball, from a free kick, again saw the home striker head home unattended at the back post.

Manager John Moore made a change at half-time as the match became a dour midfield battle with more aggression than is necessary. A spate of bookings seemed to calm things but the big aggressive home side seemed to be winning the ball more as the game went on. United however did get back on level terms with the goal of the match. Again good inter passing released striker Danny Empsall who guided his shot low and into the corner past the despairing home keeper.

 The level terms was soon ended however as the home side stepped up a gear and scored two late goals to take the points as United lost their way a little. James Holman, James Laughton and Oliver Hopwood shone for United at the back with Justin Graham at the heart of things in midfield but the man of the match award went to Danny Empsall.



D Turner, N Smith, S Smales, C Lund, J Owen, J Bramald, J Wassell, A McDermott,

B Butler, M Callaghan, A Tranter.

Subs: N Scholey, J Makinson, E Schofield, M Scarth.

Scorers: S Smales, C Lund.

Ref N Coupe.

Hall Green started their League Two Alliance campaign with a hard fought 2 to 1 victory. The first half was a very tight affair with both teams seeming a little nervous on the ball.

Hall Green seemed to be struggling dealing with a tricky left winger and the odd long ball down the middle caused far more problems than it should have done

At the other Green looked sharp in attack with Ben Butler and Matty Callaghan combining well however the offside flag seemed to be the winner in quite a dour first half.

Hall Green paid for a sloppy opening five minutes in the second half when the unfortunate Jack Owen was penalised for a hand ball. From the resulting penalty kick Dave Turner made a good save which was bettered by the follow up save from the rebound.

Minutes later Hall Green were then caught on the break and Garforth went one nil when the centre forward broke away in the 55th minute to put them ahead.

It was now time to see if the Green had any character Dave Turner made a couple more fine saves which seemed to spur on the Green who were now on the front foot. Green got a free kick on the edge of Garforths area Craig Lund stepped up and with the aid of a slight deflection found the top Corner 64 minutes gone and all was level.

On 65 minutes Hall Green made two substitutions with Nicky Smith and Jake Wassell who both performed well being replaced by Elliot Schofield and Neil Scholey respectively. The subs made immediate impact and gave the team further impetus.

In the 70th minute after some neat play Stuart Smales broke down the left and unleashed a curling shot from 25 yards which completly wrong footed the keeper.

The last twenty minutes was edge of the seat stuff Callaghan, McDermott, Butler and Bramald all had chances for Green whilst at the other end only solid defending and excellent goal keeping kept Garforth at bay.

Craig Lund who worked tirelessly in midfield along with McDermott came off in the 80th minute to be replaced by Jamie Makinson. After a long 5 minutes of injury time the whistle blew and hall Green walked off deservedly victorious.

Manager Martin Scarth was very proud of the team and was delighted by the effort and team spirit shown by everyone. The team know there is along way to go but with hard work and determination it can be achieved. There were times when Green lost their shape and composure but this was compensated for by a never say die attitude and a real will to win.

There was some outstanding performances on the day but David Turner deservedly took the man of the match accolade.


                                                                MEMORIAL CUP

At: Littletown FC Monday 8th August 2011.
United started brightly in this Challenge match, between the respective Wakefield and Heavy Woollen District Challenge Cup winners,but it was their opponents who took the lead mid way through the first half. It was a well worked goal that saw Gildersome go from their own penalty area to the other end with a string of passes that ended with a headed goal past the stranded keeper Neil May. This after Mathew Marsden had gone close with a header for United that the keeper did well to save. Their lead was short lived however as the lively Clifton Firth eluded the defensive line to hit a low shot into the corner of the net. Taking encouragement from this United pushed on with skipper Sean Jesson leading the way and it was no surprise when United scored another goal this time from the penalty spot when again Firth was involved having been brought down as he headed for goal. Chris Callaghan was the man who converted the spot kick to give United a 2-1 half time lead.
Gildersome upped their game in the second period and put United’s defence under sever pressure and it was only the keeping ability of the second half keeper David Turner who kept them at bay, but the pressure told in the end as United conceded an equliser from again a well executed move and finish.
United had to make several defensive changes in the second half but they recovered well with Callaghan and Marsden prompting from mid field and upfront Firth and Milnes were looking for that opening and it finally came when central defender James Speight hit a peach of a pass down the left where that man Firth latched onto it and put in the perfect cross for Danny Milnes to rifle his shot into the net to give United the lead and finally the winning goal.
As expected Gildersome pressed forward for a late equaliser but United held firm with Stuart Smales and Jack Owen working overtime at the back. An excellent performance from United who regained the Memorial Cup again having won it back in 2006 with Sam Jackson as manager.


Hall Green United  1  -  2  Kirkburton FC

The return of defenders John Moore, Rick Hamnett and Christian Tunney boosted United's defensive line for this opening game but they still slipped behind in the 20th minute when their visitors striker, Kieran Ryan, cut back inside and 'wellied' the ball past the stranded keeper Neil May. This had been coming for a while with United, who after making a promising start, struggling to cope with a well organised Kirkburton side. Injuries to Rick Hamnett and Chris Tunney caused changes to United with Callaghan and Graham replacing them. The score remained at 0-1 for half time and with the use of the slope United upped their tempo and began to make inroads into the resolute visitors back line. From one such attack striker Clifton Firth was upended and the reliable Chris Callaghan converted the spot kick to level the score on 65 mins. This was short lived however as United failed to deal with a cross which left the Kirburton striker all the time to volley home his second goal and clinch the game for Kirkburton. Despite United putting on the pressure for the last quarter Kirkburton held out for the points. United had good performers in Steve Wales who, despite being on the end of some harsh treatment from the visitors defence, which